Is it safe to share customized (dashboard) feed url with 3rd parties?

ivan.kolmychek

26 Mar, 2015 09:41 AM

Hi.

Looks like, at the moment, customized feeds are using API key (https://rubygems.org/dashboard.atom?api_key=key_here), but there are are use-cases for the feed, when its url should be shared with 3rd parties - feed reading services, feed-to-email service providers, etc. So, they would have the API key, which, if I understand correctly, can also be used for other actions.

So, is it safe to share the feed url with 3rd parties?

Also, if it's not, can you, please, add another key (let's say, "feed key") to profile and implement accessing the customized feed by it? That's the approach I've seen used countless times on sites with both customized feeds and API available.

I think, you even don't have to remove ability to access feed by API key - this way, we'll have two ways of accessing the customized feed - by api_key (for compatibility) and by whatever_you_name_feed_key (can be default in dashboard "feed" button).

Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 15 May, 2015 05:20 PM

You're correct. This should be a separate key for getting to the dashboard RSS. I'm not sure why this wasn't thought of or brought up before.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac