Obtaining ownership of an abandon gem: 'freight'

wanchic

24 Sep, 2019 11:51 PM

Hey All,

I am new to this group...hello! My name is Eric Wanchic and I've been looking for a base name to start a new gem package. I think I found it with 'freight'.

I feel that this has been severely abandoned, and this gem had no real purpose to begin with.

* It's currently at version 0.0.0.
 * There have been zero changes.
 * Downloading the gem gives you an empty file, freight.rb. No class description or anything, just blank.
 * It has been like this for over 6 years (Established 12/12/12).

It's currently owned by a Tim Cull. I sent him an email last week with no reply ([email blocked]). I called him today and left a message. I have a feeling he has moved on to greener pastures, and probably doesn't care to go through the steps need to properly transition the gem name.

Is there anyway I can obtain ownership of this gem? my account name is 'wanchic', ([email blocked])

Thank you for any and all help.

Eric

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by sonalkr132 on 06 Nov, 2019 05:38 AM

Hi ewanchic,

Sorry about delay in our response.
    We don't remove gems unless they are actively malicious. Empty gem or unresponsive owner is not a criterion for removal at the moment. Check this for my attempt of addressing this.
    Please consider using a different name for your gem.

2. 2 Posted by wanchic on 11 Nov, 2019 05:28 AM

Hey sonalkr132

Tim actually responded to me on October 9th, stating "You betcha." Here is a screenshot I took: https://paste.pics/dfd0723dcd60388118df4a2228e0c690

I also responded with instructions: https://paste.pics/dd1523f5956fd0b3eb047f049732d090.

However, he never responded. I called Tim again On Oct 30th, and left another message. I even presented the option of financial compensation, but I have not heard back from him.

So, I did get his ok, and it appears he is very busy and this is a low priority for him.

I have an entire naming convention based around the use of the word 'freight'. I've spent a few years coming up with other names that already been taken.

There has to be another way?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac