Publishing new versions of flexmock

Sylvain Joyeux

29 Jun, 2015 04:12 PM

FlexMock was Jim Weirich's project, and after his passing, nobody took over.

I asked a while ago on ruby-talk on how I could take over, and got Ryan Davis' answer that I should show a vested interest in its maintenance first. I did see it as "fair enough". The thing was, at the time, that flexmock WORKS. It requires very little maintenance. There was a one annoyance when running with minitest 5, which everyone monkey-patched in their own projects (it seems)

Anyways

I am at the point where I do hit more of flexmock's limitations, and therefore started working on it (https://github.com/doudou/flexmock). I went through the (very little amount of) issues on github, as well as fixed some other problems I encountered (mostly related to new features on ruby 2.0+). There's nothing that would mandate a "flexmock is BROKEN !" yell from anyone, but I obviously personally would like to get these changes distributed.

At this stage, I see three ways to move forward:
 1. the status quo: we leave flexmock continue to bit-rot and I have to rename the whole project and republish it under its own name
 2. you give me the rights to publish flexmock gems
 3. since it seems that there are so many "well-known" people of the ruby community involved on rubygems.org (at least, in the "people handling support" page) , one of you get assigned to "watch over my shoulder" for a while until you consider that passing the gem to me is safe.

Obviously I would find (1) extremely sad. flexmock is a great, useful, piece of software. In addition, this solution would obviously not be a very good way to honor the memory of someone that was so well-known in the Ruby community. I obviously would prefer (2) but (3) would be fine by me as well.

Regards,
Sylvain

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 15 Jul, 2015 07:36 PM

Sylvain-

I've added you as an owner on flexmock. Jim's code lives on! I hope you maintain it well.

-Nick

2. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2015 07:36 PM.

3. Sylvain Joyeux re-opened this discussion on 04 Aug, 2015 07:08 PM

4. 2 Posted by Sylvain Joyeux on 04 Aug, 2015 07:08 PM

Hi Nick.

For whatever reason, GMail hid this message to me ... Just noticed that I
    became owner of the flexmock gem by logging in on rubygems.

Thanks, and I do hope that I'll be up to the task as well ! Those are
    pretty big shoes to fill ...

Sylvain

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 18 Aug, 2015 02:06 PM

For sure. Good luck!

6. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 18 Aug, 2015 02:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac