Strange gem download stats post renaming. Is there a way to get analytics?

Alex Batko

18 Sep, 2013 05:38 PM

Some eight months ago I renamed my gem alexpass to altpass, yet alexpass continues to thrive, and I am really curious as to how that is possible. I have been keeping an eye on the download stats of these two gems because I expected alexpass to dwindle into oblivion, but it just won't die - it actually continues to be downloaded at a substantial rate as compared to altpass (on some days alexpass is downloaded two or three times more than altpass - and it's a rare day when altpass is downloaded more than alexpass).

So I am wondering: Is there any way to tell what searches on RubyGems lead people to these gems? And how can the ample warnings not be sufficient to make people go to altpass - do they not read the description of what they download? :)

Rename details:

I wrote and released alexpass on December 10, 2012 (it was named as such because I had a private Perl script by that name since around 2001 or 2002). A few days after having released the gem, I second guessed myself and started to think that perhaps having my name in it may seem vain, so I decided to rename it to altpass. I actually released altpass as a new gem within 4 days (December 14), and then gutted the alexpass gem to basically just say "Sorry, I've renamed this gem to altpass" - also, I posted a clear notice both at RubyGems https://rubygems.org/gems/alexpass and GitHub https://github.com/abatko/alexpass saying that it has been renamed.

Download history:

• alexpass 0.1.0 December 10, 2012 (543 downloads)
  • altpass 0.1.0 December 14, 2012 (547 downloads)
  • alexpass 0.1.1 December 14, 2012 (654 downloads)
  • alexpass 0.1.2 December 14, 2012 (549 downloads)
  • alexpass 0.1.3 January 2, 2013 (562 downloads)
  • altpass 0.2.0 January 9, 2013 (616 downloads)

I have attached an image showing a screenshot of today's download stats for these two gems. Even today, at the time of this screenshot, alexpass was downloaded three and half times more than altpass was. Is this not perplexing?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 11 Nov, 2013 08:36 PM

There's a lot of mirrors combing the site...I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

2. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 11 Nov, 2013 08:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac