Rubygems Installation issues

Al

23 Jun, 2013 07:48 PM

I can't install Rubygems either by running the setup file or through rvm. Here are the results: - When I try and run the file through Terminal:

unknown:rubygems-2.0.3 aok617$ ruby setup.rb /Users/aok617/rubygems-2.0.3/lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:318:in read': Is a directory - /Users/aok617/.gemrc (Errno::EISDIR)
    from /Users/aok617/rubygems-2.0.3/lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:318:inload_file'
    from /Users/aok617/rubygems-2.0.3/lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:191:in initialize'
    from /Users/aok617/rubygems-2.0.3/lib/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:66:inner'
    from /Users/aok617/rubygems-2.0.3/lib/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:66:in do_configuration'
    from /Users/aok617/rubygems-2.0.3/lib/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:46:inrun'
    from setup.rb:45:in `'
    unknown:rubygems-2.0.3 aok617$

And when I try to use rvm:

unknown:rubygems-2.0.3 aok617$ rvm install rubygems 2.0.3
    Retrieving rubygems-2.0.3
    Extracting rubygems-2.0.3 …
    Removing old Rubygems files…
    Installing rubygems-2.0.3 for .
    Error running 'env GEM_PATH=:@global GEM_HOME= /Users/aok617/.rvm/rubies//bin/ruby -d /Users/aok617/.rvm/src/rubygems-2.0.3/setup.rb', please read /Users/aok617/.rvm/log/1372015627_rubygems.install.log
    Installation of rubygems did not complete successfully. mkdir: :
    No such file or directory mkdir: :
    No such file or directory unknown:rubygems-2.0.3 aok617$

The install log simply states:

[2013-06-23 20:13:14] /Users/aok617/.rvm/rubies//bin/ruby env: /Users/aok617/.rvm/rubies//bin/ruby: No such file or directory

The common error seems to be that it is not a directory but I've followed two different sets of instructions. I don't see why the error keeps appearing.

Would greatly appreciate any help with this. Just installing Ruby itself was a surprising nightmare (Rbenv doesn't seem to work with the current version of Ruby) and I've already spent many many hours just trying to get set up on RoR.

Thanks

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Eric Hodel on 24 Jun, 2013 07:05 PM

What is ~/.gemrc? Please include the output of ls -l ~/.gemrc

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac