Error installing cucumber: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

03 Jun, 2011 09:17 AM

I am installing cucumber on my windows XP machine by using the command "gem install cucumber -v 0.10.0"

But gets the following error :

Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: Error installing cucumber:

ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for re.h... no
creating Makefile

'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/json-1.5.1 for
inspection. Results logged to C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/json-1.5.1/ext/json/ext/generat

Could you please me in resolving the issue.

I installed ruby 1.8.6, Ruby gems 1.3.7 and also dev kit (DevKit-3.4.5-20100819-1535-sfx)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luis Lavena on 03 Jun, 2011 01:39 PM

Hello, is not a support group about gem installation. Is a support site to deal with specific issues of RubyGems website and service itself.

However, as maintainer of RubyInstaller, I can tell you you're using the incorrect version of Ruby, which seems to be old One-Click-Installer.

Saying this because 'nmake' is a tool present on Visual Studio and RubyInstaller do not depend on it.

Please ensure you've installed the right version of Ruby and you properly installed RubyInstaller DevKit.

For further support about this, please direct your questions to RubyInstaller group:

2. Luis Lavena closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2011 01:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac