Would like earlier rubygem install

14 Apr, 2011 08:52 AM

Per earlier post on same issue (now closed): I'm running ruby 1.8.5 as this is the latest apparently under Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) (so yum tells me). The earlier post notes I need 1.8.6 to avoid the error below. I'm loath to move from this to keep installs clean, but I can't find earlier versions of rubygems on the site that would work under 1.8.5. Are they available?

[root@nms-vm rubygems-1.7.2]# ruby setup.rb ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:53: warning: parenthesize argument(s) for future version ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:56:in require': undefined methodend_with?' for no such file to load -- Win32API (NoMethodError)

from ./lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:55
    from ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `gem_original_require'
    from ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
    from ./lib/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:8
    from ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `gem_original_require'
    from ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
    from setup.rb:25
  1. 1 Posted by cooktop on 18 Apr, 2011 03:42 AM

To answer my own question of rubygems support under EL5, I see that Rubyforge is the keeper of rubygems, and earlier versions can be retrieved there. From History.txt in the tarball, I see reference that at rubygems 1.0.1, support for Ruby 1.8.3 - 1.8.5 is fixed, and is possibly the latest version of rubygems to do so?

For EL4, which runs Ruby 1.8.1, I see that others have gone back to source, specifically with Ruby 1.8.4 and Rubygems 0.8.11 giving a version mix that worked for them at the time.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 27 May, 2011 12:24 AM

Just please upgrade Ruby, that version is extremely old.

RVM is great and will work there for you!

3. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 27 May, 2011 12:24 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac