Gem push making partial uploads available for download?

Jon

15 Mar, 2011 09:43 PM

I just ran into an issue updating a gem (jruby-jars) that then failed to install with a "invalid gem format" error.

Details here http://groups.google.com/group/jruby-users/browse_thread/thread/c59...

We speculated that I updated at just the wrong time when Tom was pushing the new gem, and wondered if it's possible for my update to have fetched a partial gem. It could also be normal network issues solved by trying again. However, given that I had to manually delete the gem from RG's cache dir before I could update to a fresh gem (RG tried to reinstall the corrupted cached version) I wanted to double check with you guys.

Jon

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 23 Sep, 2011 03:08 PM

This one was buried in our spam filter, just unearthed it. Sorry.

Is this still happening for you? And if so, what version of RG?

2. 2 Posted by Jon on 23 Sep, 2011 04:48 PM

No, but I fixed it by fighting my urge to download the latest and greatest as soon as I see it by counting to 1999.

I still believe this is a backend rubygems.org issue of making an incompletely uploaded artifact available for download rather than a RG client issue.

Jon

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 23 Sep, 2011 07:43 PM

I don't think this is a backend issue. We're using Amazon S3/cloudfront for distribution of gems, and AFAIK there's no way a 'partial' file can be tossed up there.

As usual, most of these issues can't be reproduced easily :( But if it is happening still, let me know.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac