Gem environment switched from Ruby 1.8.7 back to system loaded Ruby 1.8.6

Dave Seel

25 Feb, 2011 01:25 PM

So, I am relatively new to unix and Ruby on Rails. I'm currently working on the Ruby on Rails Tutorial. I'm using OS 10.5.8. I had installed Ruby 1.8.7 and RubyGems 1.3.5 into /usr/local/bin/ and had installed Git as well. Everything was working fine and I was charging ahead.

Then I ended a shell session, came back to it and the whole RubyGem prefix and executable changed to the system installed: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby and started running Ruby 1.8.6 and RubyGems 1.0.1.

What happened? How do I get back to my original path to the Ruby 1.8.7 and RubyGem 1.3.5. Or should I just try and upgrade the existing path to Ruby 1.8.7, etc.? Could rvm help this problem and how?

My path looks like: /usr/local/git/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/git/bin

And my gem environment is:
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.0.1 (1.0.1) - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2009-06-08 patchlevel 369) [universal-darwin9.0] - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8 - RUBYGEMS PREFIX: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:

- ruby
- universal-darwin-9
  • GEM PATHS:
    • /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    • /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
  • GEM CONFIGURATION:
    • :update_sources => true
    • :verbose => true
    • :benchmark => false
    • :backtrace => false
    • :bulk_threshold => 1000
  • REMOTE SOURCES:
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 27 Feb, 2011 06:22 PM

Not sure what's going on with your system, but I definitely advise you to install/use RVM, which will actually work without a lot of manual finagling:

http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac