Cannot install a particular gem with rubygems 1.5

04 Feb, 2011 11:23 PM

# ruby --version
ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18 revision 29036) [i386-freebsd8]
# gem --version

If I manually download file and run gem install -l /where/is/bwkfanboy-1.2.8.gem everything is OK, but if I try to install the gem from the network, e.g. gem install bwkfanboy I'm getting an error: undefined class/module YAML::PrivateType. Here is a backtrace:

# gem install -V bwkfanboy --backtrace
302 Found
200 OK
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    undefined class/module YAML::PrivateType
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/specification.rb:289:in `load'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/specification.rb:289:in `_load'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:124:in `load'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:124:in `fetch_spec'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:86:in `block in fetch_with_errors'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:85:in `map'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:85:in `fetch_with_errors'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:108:in `find_gems_with_sources'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:212:in `find_spec_by_name_and_version'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:244:in `install'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:120:in `block in execute'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:115:in `each'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:115:in `execute'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/command.rb:278:in `invoke'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/command_manager.rb:133:in `process_args'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/command_manager.rb:103:in `run'
        /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:63:in `run'
        /usr/local/bin/gem:21:in `main'
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 23 Sep, 2011 03:06 PM

This one was buried in our spam filter, just unearthed it. Sorry.

AFAIK RG versions 1.4-1.7 were really buggy. Does this work on 1.8.10+ ?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac