Unable to edit newly published gem - Server Error.

kapoorlakshya

01 Nov, 2018 08:02 AM

Hi!

I recently pushed my first gem ever. When I click on the "Edit" link, I get a Server Error (screenshot attached). Here is the link that I am using: https://rubygems.org/gems/ffmpeg-screenrecorder/edit

Also, for some reason, the homepage link in the gemspec, pointing to the GitHub repo, is not displayed with the other links. I followed the "Specification Reference" page and set it to:

spec.homepage = 'http://github.com/kapoorlakshya/ffmpeg-screenrecorder'

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by kerrizor on 01 Nov, 2018 02:42 PM

The spec looks ok to my quick scan of it, and I'm actually not seeing anything in our logs about an error.. hmm, I'm wondering, did you add or change the homepage link but not publish a new version of the gem? The last version payload I have a record for is for 1.0.0.beta3 and that payload did not include a homepage URL.. perhaps try publishing 1.0.0.beta3.1 and see if it updates?

In the meanwhile, I'll poke around a bit more and see if I can locate some kind of error log that would've been recorded when you received that server error message; we did have a minor service degradation a few hours ago, but I doubt it is related.

2. 2 Posted by kapoorlakshya on 01 Nov, 2018 10:11 PM

Hi kerrizor,

Thanks for responding!

The last version payload I have a record for is for 1.0.0.beta3 and that payload did not include a homepage URL

That's strange. How did you figure this out? The homepage URL is in the gemspec and I can see it when I unpack the gem file for beta3. Actually, it has been there in all releases so far. Here are the steps I have been following:

gem build ffmpeg-screenrecorder.gemspec
    gem push ffmpeg-screenrecorder-1.0.0.beta3.gem

The server error is happening to me every time I click the "Edit" link. I have attached a GIF recording so you can see the server error (Timestamp should be around 15:10 PDT) in action and my steps to unpack and verify the homepage url in the gemspec.

EDIT: I used bundle exec rake release with the beta4 release and I get the same results - server error and no homepage URL. Wasn't sure if it made a difference and it apparently does not.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by kerrizor on 03 Nov, 2018 01:34 AM

Found it! It'll take me a few days to get a fix together, just due to scheduling.. I'll update this issue when its working -- thanks!

4. 4 Posted by kapoorlakshya on 04 Nov, 2018 12:21 AM

Oh, awesome! Please do share what the issue was - I am curious now.

Did you figure out a fix for both the Server Error and the homepage issue? Thanks!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• chrome_2018-11-01_00-58-35.png 105 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac