RubyGems connection timeout from Rackspace servers

Donald Webster

30 Apr, 2018 04:17 AM

I am having an interesting issue tonight regarding RubyGems timeouts. I've narrowed it down to only having connection issues from any Ubuntu servers I have running on Rackspace cloud. Other servers I have locally, and on Digital Ocean for instance, are fine.

For instance, if I do a "gem search sanitize" on any of my Rackspace servers, it takes forever and I get no results. From any of my other servers it returns lots of results.

Ideas?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by kerrizor on 04 May, 2018 04:48 PM

Hi Donald, thanks for writing in.. and apologies on the late reply, its been a hectic couple of weeks! A couple questions..

• Is this still an issue for you?
    • Have you tried traceroute'ing to see where the bottleneck is? If not, could you do so and let me know the results of that?
  2. 2 Posted by Donald Webster on 04 May, 2018 07:18 PM

Yes it is still an issue.

I can ping api.rubygems.org. However, I'm thinking it's an issue connecting via SSL/TLS. If I do a "gem search sanitize" for instance, it just hangs. This only happens from my servers at Rackspace, and I presume it's because they are behind some kind of NAT as other users have experienced with Amazon. The problem is that the NAT servers are not mine, they belong to Rackspace, so I can't just change them out.

My workaround has been to vendor the gems in my development environment and deploy so that the hosted cloud servers on Rackspace never have to connect to Rubygems.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by kerrizor on 22 Jul, 2018 05:38 PM

Just following up, Donald - is this still an issue? I've seen other issues with NAT servers. Are you able to connect via http? What output do you get for gem search --remote --verbose --debug sanitize?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac