Setting ruby executable path

Bob

05 Aug, 2010 06:46 PM

How do i change the ruby executable path?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Eric Hodel on 05 Aug, 2010 06:50 PM

Install ruby in a different location.

2. 2 Posted by ron on 11 Aug, 2010 04:35 PM

That does not answer the question. When you have multiple versions of ruby installed (such as debian/ubuntu's one and one compiled from source), how do I tell gem to use my newly compiled ruby instead of my distributiion's version?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Eric Hodel on 11 Aug, 2010 08:14 PM

Set your PATH env var to prefer your newly compiled ruby or use a complete path to the newly installed ruby's gem. gem is installed alongside the ruby it was installed with (/usr/local/bin/ruby will have /usr/local/bin/gem after installing RubyGems).

PS: I did answer the question you asked. If you want to know how to do a specific thing you will need to ask a specific question. We can't read your mind through the internet

4. 4 Posted by ron on 12 Aug, 2010 08:37 AM

Thanks for your reply.
    I found the cause of my confusion: I complied ruby but I did not compile gem, thus the system picked up my OS's version of gem. Thus my PATH was correct without leading to the expected result.

Anyway, I also found a great solution to all version issues: RVM (http://rvm.beginrescueend.com). Takes a little bickering to install and understand at first, but will save you tons of trouble later.

5. Eric Hodel closed this discussion on 12 Aug, 2010 05:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

30 Oct, 2014 02:46 PM
28 Oct, 2014 09:51 AM
23 Oct, 2014 05:37 PM