URGENT!!! Please remove permanently the test gems

Esen Sagynov

29 Jul, 2010 07:41 AM

Hello!

I have been testing for couple of days how to build gems and push them to the repository. My account is CUBRID. So I have created several test versions and pushed them to Rubygems.org. Below are the list of them.

Versions
0.63 July 26, 2010 yanked
0.62 July 26, 2010 yanked
0.61 July 27, 2010 x86-mingw32
0.61 July 26, 2010 yanked
0.6 July 11, 2009 x86-mswin32-60
0.6 July 26, 2010 yanked

Now I have created the stable Ruby Driver for CUBRID Database, therefore yanked the old test versions. There is one working version "cubrid-0.61-x86-mingw32.gem" which is for Windows platform. Now I have created a Ruby native gem "cubrid-0.62.gem. However, it does not allow me to push it as I have previously pushed the test 0.62, 0.63 versions.

And, also, I cannot yank the oldest "0.6 July 11, 2009 x86-mswin32-60" gem. When I "yank cubrid -v=0.6" it says 0.6 has already been yanked. But this gem is 0.6 for Windows platform.

How can I indicate to yank -win32 only gem?
So, could you please remove the old redundant gems permanently?

Thank you very much!

Esen.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 01 Aug, 2010 03:44 PM

Hi there,

Yeah, we have an open bug where you cannot yank platform gems. For now I've yanked those other two versions.

We usually only perma-delete gems that have some malicious or harmful code in them, or something like a password. If every version of a gem has been yanked, then someone else can claim ownership over the gem if they want that name. Let me know if there's a stronger reason to delete it.

2. 2 Posted by Esen Sagynov on 02 Aug, 2010 12:58 AM

Hello, Nick!

I am very sorry! But that was not exactly what I needed! Aaaaaaaaaa!!!

I needed to delete only those that I have already yanked. The "cubrid" gem is working. Just wanted to delete the "testing" gems, which I pushed just to see if that works out.

The rest two gems:
    0.61 July 27, 2010 x86-mingw32
    0.6 July 11, 2009 x86-mswin32-60

... do not needed to be removed. They are stable releases for Windows platforms. Is it possible for you to restore my account and just delete those gems which I have already yanked? I think it is possible. Please, help me with this. I would be very happy if, especially, the downloads statistics could be restored.

If any questions, please let me know.

Esen.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 02 Aug, 2010 01:08 AM

Done, those two are back in the index and will be available for download again shortly...the download counts aren't removed on yank so you should be all set.

As for the perma-deleting the gems, my comment from above still applies.

4. 4 Posted by Esen Sagynov on 02 Aug, 2010 04:57 AM

Thank you, Nick!

Concerning the perma-delete, I understand that there should be "virus-like" reason to have them deleted. So, I have a question. How should I push the gem which has the same version as the one which was previously yanked. As I told you that I have been testing the pushing, installing, and yanking with the Gem, so those gems are not actually the latest and stable. I have incremented the versions for the same gem to see how it works (I assumed I can easily remove them later, but I was wrong). So, now I really have +0.01 increment in the version that I want to push. How should I do that? Do I have to intentionally increment by the latest +0.01? Is that the only option to get it pushed?

Thank you for your help!

Esen.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 03 Aug, 2010 10:13 PM

Yeah, you can increment by whatever version you want to.... you could do 0.01, most Ruby projects use a version scheme of MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, so I would just bump the PATCH (for example, 1.0.0 => 1.0.1)

6. 6 Posted by Esen Sagynov on 05 Aug, 2010 05:37 AM

Dear Nick,

I understand that there is an option to just increment the version. However, that's not exactly what I intend. Could you simply remove those unnecessary "yanked" gems? That's all I want, as I explained to you earlier, I have pushed them to test the "pushing, yanking and installation" process. They are useless and even will not be installed. Only two gem, which are not yanked, are working.

Thank you for your assistance!

Esen.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 14 Aug, 2010 03:57 PM

We tend not to remove gems unless there's a dire reason to, such as some harmful or malicious code. Otherwise, yanking effectively hides it from the index and search.

I've added this to the FAQ: http://help.rubygems.org/faqs/gemcutter/removing-a-published-rubygem

8. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 14 Aug, 2010 03:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac