Gem names are case sensitive?

Johnathon Wright

17 May, 2010 03:33 PM

This is a Problem / Question / Suggestion

I somewhat-accidentally changed from the name valuable to Valuable only to find that my gem appears twice on gemcutter.

• Can I merge these names so that the 100+ people who are using Valuable won't have to be confused when their gem disappears?

• Is it really a good idea to have case-sensitive gem names? This seems like a recipe for (a) mass confusion and (b) inviting kiddie-script hackers to be mischievous. ( >> oh, c'mon... no one would do that... >> no, seriously, I specifically know someone who would do it immediately if he knew about it.)

I'd be happy to write the patch if I thought the community would support this idea.

jw

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by John Barnette on 17 May, 2010 03:38 PM

Though I can't remember them off the top of my head, I know there are a couple of other gems that only differ in name case. Nick, we should probably run ourselves a report on this. :)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 17 Jul, 2010 08:31 PM

Looks like I lost track of this one.

There's no way to merge things...and case sensitive names is pretty annoying. I think if you're serious about this you should start a discussion on rubygems-developers about it, and we can discuss the implications of it there instead of this support forum.

Going to consider this resolved for now.

3. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2010 08:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac