problem with installing/donwloading rdoc

Chris Vogel

15 Feb, 2013 08:05 AM

Hi,
found http://help.rubygems.org/discussions/problems/678-problem-with-inst... . I had the same problem using Avira avwebgate. I sent the issue to the avira support team and they replied that there is a broken file in the archive http://production.cf.rubygems.org/gems/rdoc-3.12.1.gem and the scan engine therefor stops with an error which leads to the rejection of the file download for the user requesting the file through the antivirus proxy engine. Looking at the archive you can find a file binary.dat inside data.tar.gz which is inside the gems archive. This file looks like a gziped tar archive, but can only be extracted partially. For that reason the scan engine does decide it is broken.

I'm really not into ruby and I do not have the slightest idea what the file binary.dat is meant for. My question is whether the file is intentionally build the way it is and just happens to look like a broken archive.

Here is how you can reproduce my findings using a recent version of Ubuntu/Debian:

$ tar -xf ../rdoc-3.12.1.gem tar: metadata.gz: unplausibel alter Zeitstempel 1970-01-01 01:00:00
tar: metadata.gz.sig: unplausibel alter Zeitstempel 1970-01-01 01:00:00
tar: data.tar.gz: unplausibel alter Zeitstempel 1970-01-01 01:00:00
tar: data.tar.gz.sig: unplausibel alter Zeitstempel 1970-01-01 01:00:00
tar: checksums.yaml.gz: unplausibel alter Zeitstempel 1970-01-01 01:00:00
tar: checksums.yaml.gz.sig: unplausibel alter Zeitstempel 1970-01-01 01:00:00
$ tar -xzf data.tar.gz test/binary.dat tar: test/binary.dat: unplausibel alter Zeitstempel 1970-01-01 01:00:00
$ file test/binary.dat test/binary.dat: gzip compressed data, from Unix, last modified: Sat May 17 19:51:10 2008
$ gunzip -S .dat test/binary.dat

gzip: test/binary.dat: unexpected end of file
$ tar -tzf test/binary.dat

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
doxygen-1.5.6/
doxygen-1.5.6/addon/
doxygen-1.5.6/addon/doxmlparser/
doxygen-1.5.6/addon/doxmlparser/Doxyfile
tar: Unerwartetes Dateiende im Archiv.
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Chris

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 20 Feb, 2013 01:50 AM

"gem unpack" will do what you're looking for. Also for now on this site is for specific issues with RubyGems.org, not RubyGems itself. Please post questions like this to StackOverflow, where you'll get a faster response (and karma!).

2. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 20 Feb, 2013 01:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac