Installing gems on ubuntu - strange behavior

Marlon

12 Feb, 2013 03:06 PM

Hello,

First of all, let me thank you guys for making and supporting the gems packaging system

I am trying to install a gem called rbtree. On cygwin, I did gem install rbtree and the gem process reported no errors. Even so, when trying "require 'rbtree'", ruby reported that it couldnt find such file rbtree.
After lots of researching I couldnt find help. I then tweaked and found that the requirement "require '/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rbtree-0.3.0/rbtree'" worked, although several warnings about .so fi,les replacing methods were thrown.
Thinking that cygwin were not supported, I tooke the time to install a fresh (really fresh) ubuntu virtual machine using virtual box. After installing ruby 1.9 (ruby --version reports 1.9.3) and ruby gems, and testing with irb, I them did "gem install rbtree" and again the process did not report any errors. Even so, when doing "require 'rbtree'", still it couldnt find such file rbtree.
So I really think something is going wrong and that its related to gem somehow not knowing where to search for gems or the make system of rbtree putting files in the wrong place. But then I am again lost. I wouldnt like to full qualify every require to use gems, cinse putting stuff and new environments would be very hard. What can I do to fix this?
Thanks,
Marlon

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 20 Feb, 2013 01:46 AM

rbtree probably requires a C compiler, which probably isn't setup properly. I'd check out http://railsinstaller.org/ to get started on Windows.

This isn't a support forum for RubyGems itself, please post issues like this in the future to StackOverflow.

2. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 20 Feb, 2013 01:46 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 Oct, 2014 05:37 PM
21 Oct, 2014 10:47 AM
18 Oct, 2014 08:39 PM