Gem ownership: ruby-openid / openid

dennisreimann

29 Jun, 2012 12:18 PM

Hello,

last week I took up the maintainership of the ruby-openid gem and fixed some things, accepted pull requests and build a new version. Now would be the time to publish a new version of the gem. I tried to reach out to the people that are listed as owners on RubyGems.org, but unfortunately none of them replied and/or their email addresses did not exist anymore. The last push of that gem has been two years ago and I would really like to publish a new version.

The next thing I tried was writing an email to the guy who owns the openid gem, but his mail address doesn't exist anymore, too.

How can we go on from here?

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend,
Dennis

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Gregory Brown on 29 Jun, 2012 12:42 PM

Hi Dennis,

There are three people with ownership access to the gem, have you attempted to contact all of them? See the gem page: http://rubygems.org/gems/ruby-openid

Transferring ownership is something that is very hard for gem distributors to do without permission from someone who already has admin access to a project, because it can lead to all kinds of complicated personal conflicts. That's why in most cases if an original maintainer cannot be contacted, we'd recommend renaming the gem and releasing under the new name.

2. 2 Posted by dennisreimann on 29 Jun, 2012 01:01 PM

Hey Gregory, thanks for the fast answer! Like I said I tried to reach them, but did not receive a reply. For me it would be fine, if you could grant me push access to the gem - you would not have to remove anyone of them.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Gregory Brown on 29 Jun, 2012 01:24 PM

Hi Dennis,

Please try again to reach them. It's unlikely that we'd be able to give you access to the gem without their permission, so if you're unable to reach them, I'd recommend releasing your updates under a new name.

We don't really have the ability to judge the wishes of previous maintainers of projects, and so in all but the most extreme cases, the only way to get added to a project is with approval from an existing maintainer.

Sorry.

4. Gregory Brown closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2012 01:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 Oct, 2014 05:37 PM
21 Oct, 2014 10:47 AM
18 Oct, 2014 08:39 PM