deployr namespace

steve

28 Jun, 2012 05:30 PM

Hi, I believe there is a dead project called "deployr". Back in January we emailed the author and they said that the project was no longer active. See attached screenshot. Then once we completed development on our gem, we tried to email again and they said the project is still active. There hasn't been any new code since 2010. I believe that they are just camping on the name. Can we get that project removed so we can add our gem?

You can find our gem at http://github.com/slantview/deployr and we are actively developing it. Please advise what to do.

1. 2 Posted by steve on 28 Jun, 2012 05:47 PM

Also, if you look at the code for the other deployr project, you'll see it's got like 2 lines of actual Ruby code. All it is does is use the gem as a wrapper for executing java.

From bin/deployr:
    ```

!/usr/bin/env ruby

system "java -DDEPLOYR_HOME=#{File.dirname(FILE)}/.. -cp #{File.dirname(FILE)}/../lib/hamcrest-all-1.1.jar:#{File.dirname(FILE)}/../lib/jetty-6.1.23.jar:#{File.dirname(FILE)}/../lib/jetty-util-6.1.23.jar:#{File.dirname(FILE)}/../lib/junit-4.7.jar:#{File.dirname(FILE)}/../lib/mockito-all-1.6.jar:#{File.dirname(FILE)}/../lib/servlet-api-2.5-20081211.jar:#{File.dirname(FILE)}/../lib/deployr.jar deployr.cli.Main #{ARGV.join(' ')}"
    ```

And from lib/deployr.rb
    ```

$:.unshift(File.dirname(FILE)) unless $:.include?(File.dirname(FILE)) || $:.include?(File.expand_path(File.dirname(FILE)))

module Deployr
    VERSION = '1.1' end
    ```

That is the entirety of Ruby code in the project.

2. Support Staff 3 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 04 Aug, 2012 06:24 PM

Looping in the current author of the deployr gem.

We're not in the business of kicking people out of gem names, but if you're not using the gem name, it would be great to let steve's gem through. If you're not sure of how to add someone else as an owner of a gem, here's a tutorial:

http://help.rubygems.org/kb/gemcutter/gem-ownership

If not, there's plenty of good gem names still available, and you won't have to be blocked on this to get your code out there.

3. 4 Posted by Luca Marrocco on 04 Aug, 2012 07:01 PM

I'm sorry, but why Steve can't chose a different name by your self
    project? My project is available since 2008 cost me a lot of effort to
    publish it and make it open source. Now i'm working into another
    version and i will publish new one soon.

Luca

4. Support Staff 5 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 04 Aug, 2012 07:48 PM

Fixed Luca's comment since Tender mangled it.

This sounds valid...I'd choose a different name for the gem, Steve. Thanks for being civil here, everyone.

5. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2012 07:48 PM.

6. steve re-opened this discussion on 04 Aug, 2012 10:05 PM

7. 6 Posted by steve on 04 Aug, 2012 10:05 PM

I think you are confused about what open source is. You are abusing rubygems to distribute your java jar files. I've owned the name deployr.com since 2008 and turned down many offers to buy the name. I will continue to use this name. I will rename the gem. Thanks again for lying to me and telling me I could have the name in January. That would have been a good time to let someone know. I'm also not changing the executable name. So there will be conflict if anyone actually wants to use your java based gem.

8. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 07 Sep, 2012 03:44 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac