gem automatically pushed from rubyforge, but is no longer maintained

ghazel

29 Mar, 2010 11:51 PM

The "daemons" gem was pushed automatically from RubyForge. The author has been unresponsive for some two years, and the existing gem has an often hit bug. I imported this project to github and have been maintaining a fixed fork there for a while now. Users have been requesting for a long time that my fix be incorporated into the main gem, but as I mentioned the author has been unresponsive.

Is there any way for me to take over this gem, and push a fixed version?

-Greg

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 30 Mar, 2010 01:53 PM

I've added the owners of the daemons gem, uehli and zachdennis, to this discussion. I'm not going to preempt ownership of a gem with nearly 100k downloads, it's definitely got to up to the owners for this one.

Is there any chance of getting some patches into the original gem here, or should ghazel continue on in his fork?

2. 2 Posted by ghazel on 08 Apr, 2010 12:45 AM

Well I think it would be great if my fix was pulled in, but, how long until the original project is determined to be unmaintained?

3. 3 Posted by zach.dennis on 08 Apr, 2010 02:39 AM

Hey Greg/Nick,

This really isn't my project, I was just given rights to it a long time ago because of some ideas I was thinking of incorporating into daemons. I have no idea if Thomas is still involved actively with it, hopefully he sees this thread and can respond for himself. I agree with Nick, that preempting ownership is a last course of action to consider.

Greg, if you can contact Thomas and I directly via email, maybe we can get the ball rolling on getting your patches in place and addressing any other concerns or goals you may have.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 10 Apr, 2010 12:05 AM

I'm going to consider this resolved if it's going to be continued outside of the scope of our Tender account. If there's anything else I can do let me know.

5. Nick Quaranto closed this discussion on 10 Apr, 2010 12:05 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac