Windows/JRuby gem install fails most of the time!

Brandon Hauff

29 Mar, 2010 07:48 PM

Hi,

When installing gems in Windows with jruby the majority of the time I get the following error:

C:\data\BrandonH\Dev>jruby -S gem install arel
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
SystemCallError: Unknown error - An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine (http://gemcutter.org/gems/i18n-0.3.6.gem)

When doing a gem install in Windows in MRI I have no problems. This problems seemed to start in the last month or two after no changes on my local machine. It makes no difference rather I am using jruby 1.4.0 or the master branch. I have rubygems 1.3.6 installed in both.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Quaranto on 30 Mar, 2010 01:47 PM

Can you run gem install [some gem] -V ? The --debug flag output will help us out too.

Also, are you behind any kind of firewall or NAT? We've heard of some issues with that.

2. 2 Posted by Brandon Hauff on 30 Mar, 2010 06:49 PM

Hi,

I am not behind a firewall or NAT. This same command works fine in MRI, and only just recently broke in JRuby.

Here is the output with -V and --debug

http://gist.github.com/349435

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Eric Hodel on 30 Mar, 2010 08:20 PM

Sounds like jruby is not mapping this exception to Errno::ECONNABORTED, from rubygems/remote_fetcher:

# NOTE Errno::ECONNABORTED raised a lot on Windows, and make impossible
    # to install gems.

4. 4 Posted by Brandon Hauff on 31 Mar, 2010 01:33 PM

drbrain or Nick,

Why would this error just start recently w/ no changes to jruby? Where there changes to rubygems recently? I can report this to the jruby team, but they might need more information on how to go forward.

Thanks,

Brandon Hauff

5. 5 Posted by Tom Enebo on 31 Mar, 2010 07:05 PM

Fixed in commit 6e8d0d5 in JRuby.

The base issue here was that IO.sysread was returning a generic unknown Errno Exception instead of ECONNABORTED errno. drbrain nailed it.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Eric Hodel on 31 Mar, 2010 09:22 PM

Thanks Tom!

Brandon: The behavior I'd heard of about Errno::ECONNABORTED is that it just happens sometimes because that's how Windows built their TCP/IP stack. Maybe the connection between you and rubygems.org is more congested, or some TCP timeout was tripped.

7. Eric Hodel closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2010 09:22 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac